Dr. DONGMEI CHEN
I was born in Hubei Province, China. As a child growing up in the rual I was alway attracted by the divisity of natural enviornmnent. After I graduated from the high school, I was accepted by Peking University to study biology. One year later I switched my major to geography. Since then I have enjoyed exploring different aspects of this field. I got my B.A. in economic geography from Peking University and MSc. in GIS and remote sensing application from the Institute of Remote Sensing Application, Chinese Academic of Science. After that I went to California, US and got my Ph.D. in Geography from the joint doctoral program of San Diego State University and University of California at Santa Barbara. From 2000 to 2002 I had worked in Environmenal System Research Institute (ESRI) as a GIS product specialist at Department of Software Development before I joined in Department of Geography at Queen's University in April 2002. Kingtson has become my home since then.
- Ph.D. Geography, San Diego State University/University of California at Santa Barbara, USA, 2001
- M.S. GIS and Remote Sensing Application, Institute of Remote Sensing Application, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, P.R. China, 1994
- B.S. Urban plannning and enviornmental science (Economic geography), Peking University, Beijing, P.R.China, 1991
- 2015 - present Full professor, Department of Geography and Planning, Queen's University
- 2015 - present Crosss-appointed professor, School of Environment Studies, Queen's University
- 2011 - 2015 Cross-appointed associate professor, School of Environment Studies, Queen’s University
- 2008- 2015 Tenured associate professor, Department of Geography, Queen’s University
- 2009(March-July) Visiting professor, Institute of Remote Sensing Application/Centre for Earth Observation & Digital Earth, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- 2002- 2008 Tenure-track assistant Professor, Department of Geography, Queen’s University
- 2001-2002 GIS Product Specialist, Environmental System Research Institute, Inc. Redlands, CA
- 1994-2000 Graduate Assistant, Department of Geography, San Diego State University
- 1999, 2000 GIS Assistant, California Institute of Transportation Safety, San Diego State University
- 1992-1994 Assistant Researcher, Institute of Remote Sensing Application, Chinese Academy of Science
- 2009 Canadian Foundation of Innovation Leaders Opportunity Fund Award
- 2009 Wan Kuancheng research award, Chinese Academy of Science
- 2004 John I. Davidson President’s Award, American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
- 2002 Finalist in the J. Warren Nystrom Dissertation Award Competition, AAG
- 2001 Best Student Paper Award, International Geographical Information Foundation Award, Worldwide Competition
- 1999 William & Vivian Finch Award for Remote Sensing, San Diego State University
- 1997 Outstanding Research in Human Geography Award, San Diego State University
- 1997 Travel award of UCGIS Summer Assembly, Maine, May 1997
- 1995-1998 Stephen and Mary Birch graduate fellowship
- Over 20 years of experience in GIS and Remote sensing application and software development programming.
- Consultant and reasearch collaborator for City of Kingtson, City of Oakville, Ontario Ministry of Environment,Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, Public Health Agency of Canada, , KFL&C Health Unit, Easter Ontrario Health Unit, York Health Unit, Novus Environmental, PCI, IBM, ESRI Canada, Terrafct, Institute of Remote Sensing Applicantion (Chinese Academy of Science), Tongji University and Fudan University.
- Member of Canadian Association of Geography, American Association of Geography.
- Reviewer for more than 20 journals including Remote Sensing of Environment, International Journal of Remote Sensing, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, The Annals of the Association of American Geographers, Geomatica, The Canadian Geographer, Journal of Landscape and Urban Planning, , the ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Engineering, Professional Geographer, , Geographical Analysis, IEEE Transctions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, GeoJournal, Journal of Environmental Management, Journal of Environmental Informatics, Environmental modeling and assessment, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Geographical Analysis, International Journal of Geographical Information Science, etc.
- Grant reviewer for NSERC, Georgia Science Foundation, US National Science Foundation.